Friday, November 30, 2007

David Bowie

So recently my life has become the wonderful, magical David Bowie. The man is a godsend I swear and I cannot get enough of his music. Now, you may be wondering if all I am here to write about is the music I listen too. The answer, although tempting, is no of course not. See I am doing a report on Ziggy Stardust era Bowie for my Music of the 1970's course. Exciting, no?

While it's fantastic to read about the exploits of Ziggy Stardust, it has done just more than entertain me. It's gotten me thinking about songwriting. Now, I've been doing a bit of songwriting this year, and I actually really enjoy it. But Bowie writes unlike anyone else. I saw a quote that called it "T.S. Elliot to a rock beat." It's beautiful, it's bizarre, and it's amazing. I have only been writing in a traditional verse chorus verse style. Now I want to write something with no form at all and I want the lyrics to be other worldly.

One other thing that has happened recently is I came up with an idea for a type of music I would like to play. Imagine classic punk style, but with definite classic rock (ie Beatles and The Who) influences, with a horn section. Wouldn't it just be the most exciting music ever. Before you say anything, that is not ska. It's something else entirely.

2 comments:

katie said...

You didn't include an ice cream flavor. :(

katie said...

So they have this test called the Blog Readability Test which tels you what reading level the blog is written for and I ran yours through and guess what! You write at a college level. :D

http://www.criticsrant.com/bb/reading_level.aspx