Sunday, November 11, 2007

What Truly is the Food of the Gods?

If I recall correctly the answer to the above question is technically ambrosia, the nectar of the Gods of Ancient Greece. My father argues that the two things that prove God exists are good red wine and sour cream, my mother always feels the need to submit fine chocolate to that list. I wonder, what is it about food that makes people ecstatic. I mean besides the obvious need for survival.

It seems that above all else food is a uniting factor. It brings people together, often provides for humorous stories, and is probably the thing that people get the most excited about beyond sex. Yet, lots of people are very picky about what they eat and refuse to try new things. That concept of refusing to eat new things is beyond me. Now, I should note here that I mostly keep Kosher and eat no red meat or poultry. This means that my consumption of animals is fish with scales and fins, dairy, and eggs. Yet, if the whole world of food is open to you, why deny it? I say eat with relish and of course eat relish.

Beyond silly puns though, I want to know what you think is the best food in the world. It doesn't have to be your favorite, I will admit that while cheese blintzes are probably my favorite food, I think the best food in the world are sun-dried tomatoes. So I ask, what do you think is the best food in the world? By the way, I'm really hungry, I miss really cooking, and thus this blog post was created.

Ice cream flavor of the week: Cheese Blintz (A sweet cheese base with swirls of strawberry and sour cream and bits of blinis. It would either be amazing or disgusting.)

1 comment:

katie said...

Your post reminded me of one class last fall in which when the professor wanted to do ice breaker instead of asking for say a hidden talent or something interesting about yourself, she asked what was the best food item you had over the weekend. I liked this because usually I stress over what to say but this time it was easy because I had happened to go the Haymarket that weekend and had an excellent smoothie. And the responses to her question were much more elaborate then usual ice breakers were because everyone could relate and it brightened everyone's moods. So I do agree that food brings the people together.

As far as the best/favorite foods? I wish I had one, I mean there are certainly ones like onions that I feel always give an extra needed zest to the meal I am eating. And then there are things like certain cheeses and condiments that also add to a meal, but I cannot think of one dish that is my favorite.